27/03/2009

The Leisure Society Launch Their New Album "Sleeper" at Luminaire in Kilburn


Something else that I can't get out of my head, so have decided to deposit here...

I have spent most of my day troubled by an unexplained feeling of regret, disappointment and emptiness.

Until now I had no idea why I was feeling this way. Granted the repercussions of a "few" too many beverages last night has slightly hindered my usual feeling of general well being but, I have no real reason to feel down. In fact if anything I should still be on a high from the fantastic gig that I went to last night.

The Leisure Society absolutely blew away the full capacity luminaire in Kilburn as they launched their recently released album "Sleeper", which incidentally is now available to buy on iTunes... plug over.

I have known one of the many Leisure Society members, Sebastian Hankins for many years now and have always enjoyed watching him gracefully produce some of the most intricate and sophisticated drumming I have ever seen.

But last night really was something else. As I stood behind Sebastian's older brother, I realised that he seemed to be uncontrollably repeating the word "unbelievable". And unbelievable it was.

It is very rare to see a group with so many extremely talented individual musicians all playing as one perfectly orchestrated ensemble, producing what can only be described as something special.

So special in fact that I can safely say last night's epic performance was the best gig I have ever been to. Now that is quite something to say bearing in mind I have been to quite a few gigs in my time... Razorlight at the Royal Albert Hall joined by Roger Daltrey for an encore all in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust, Hot Chip at a festival on the Beach near Valencia, Victor Wooten at a Jazz festival in New York, to name but a few.

But there is something to be said for the feeling you get watching a band producing something as intimate and extraordinary as was produced last night at the Luminaire in Kilburn. A true moment in history that will be remembered by every single person who listened on with smiles on faces and hairs stood to attention on the back of their necks.

So, if I enjoyed the gig that much, why do I have this feeling of emptiness deep in the pit of my stomach. This contemplation has hampered me all morning. Why?...

Last night is certainly the best gig I have ever been to but, it may also have been the best gig I will ever go to. And it's over. Ever is a long time.

The Leisure Society
Willkommen Records

No comments:

Post a Comment